Message from Diana Aviv, President and CEO, Independent Sector
I write to you because of a unique opportunity that is before us. As you may know, the House of Representatives recently passed legislation (H.R. 4719) that would make permanent three temporary – and currently expired – provisions in the tax code that encourage charitable giving:
- The IRA charitable rollover;
- An enhanced tax deduction for donating food inventory; and
- An enhanced tax deduction for donating land conservation easements.
The legislation would also:
- Extend the deadline through April 15 for making charitable contributions; and
- Streamline the excise tax on private foundation investment income.
With your help, we are really close to crossing the finish line and getting this done.
We ask you to join us in working to ensure that these provisions are permanently enshrined in the tax code. Given the few legislative days remaining in the 113th Congress, our window of opportunity will not remain open long.
Timing is of the essence.
Given the urgency of this matter, I invite you to join me and other sector leaders for a special sector-wide call on Tuesday, August 5 at 1:00 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PST, where we will discuss a strategy for advancing H.R. 4719 in the Senate before time runs out.
We will provide a brief legislative update, then turn to sector leaders and our Policy team for their perspectives about how you can best utilize the August congressional recess to make progress on these vital issues.
Thus far, confirmed speakers include:
- Wes Coulam, Executive Director, National Tax at Washington Council Ernst & Young;
- Russ Shay, Director of Public Policy at Land Trust Alliance;
- Matt Knott, President at Feeding America; and
- David Thompson, Vice President of Public Policy at National Council of Nonprofits.
We encourage you to distribute this invitation broadly within your organization and to other charitable organizations in your networks. To participate in this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the dial-in information.
We look forward to having a fruitful discussion on Tuesday and hope you will be able to join us.