Hiring Organization Information
Communities for a Healthy Bay (CHB) is a Tacoma-based environmental nonprofit that engages people to clean up, restore and protect Commencement Bay, its surrounding waters and natural habitat. Knowing that the health of our community is intricately connected to the health of our surrounding environment, we work closely with county and local government agencies, members of the community, businesses, and other nonprofit organizations to serve as an unbiased positive voice for the health and welfare of Commencement Bay and South Puget Sound.
As a grassroots environmental advocacy nonprofit, we believe greater public insistence and engagement is necessary to inspire elected officials, businesses, and fellow community members to take the necessary level of action to turn the tide. To meet the issues at the proper scale, we must continually grow our base of support and elevate the work of CHB in the public domain and local media.
Justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion are core values for Communities for a Healthy Bay. We welcome and value a diversity of people, experiences, and perspectives. We embrace and actively encourage participation of people with differences in age, race, gender, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, language, national origin, family or marital status, veteran status, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, religion and/or political affiliation.
The Communications and Marketing Director is a key member of the leadership team. This individual is responsible for designing, directing, and ensuring implementation of all of CHB’s external communications activities including the organization’s messaging and strategy around major decisions, campaigns, and issues. As this is a new staff position for CHB, the successful candidate will also play a key role in shaping and developing this opportunity.
The successful applicant will have a passion for public health and environmental protection; experience developing communications campaigns across multiple channels including social and earned media; experience developing and leading digital marketing campaigns to promote engagement from our donor and potential donor population; strong connections in Pierce County; and familiarity with power-building via grassroots campaigns.
The job will entail:
- Leading the overall development and coordination of external communications aimed at protecting our region’s environment, and changing the systems that perpetuate environmental injustice and harm communities;
- Planning and implementing an enhanced, high-impact strategy for advocacy, education and fundraising in order to maximize programmatic impact and supporter engagement, including social media, digital marketing, earned media, and more;
- Writing and editing content, campaign information, fundraising materials, leading on media strategy, and more;
- Contributing to the development of programmatic strategies, campaign messages and donor engagement, and;
- Mentoring and coaching volunteers and CHB staff to represent CHB’s message in meetings, with the media, and on social media.
We seek no single set of qualifications or experiences, as we appreciate that there are many paths to this opportunity.
In order to excel in this position, you must have:
- At least five years of experience in advocacy communications.
- A strong background in digital marketing and social media engagement.
- Proven success garnering earned media; working with the local, regional and national media; and developing issue-based media campaigns.
- A deep commitment to protecting the planet and fighting injustice.
- Strong interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and the ability to nimbly shift strategies in a rapidly changing world.
- Ace writing skills in a range of focus areas including informative, storytelling, and media pitches.
Preference will be given to candidates who are:
- Located in, and connected to Pierce County
- Nimble and flexible