Hiring Organization Information
United Way of King County is committed to working for a racially just community where all people have homes, students graduate, and families are financially stable. We believe that having staff, volunteers, and supporters that represent diverse backgrounds will allow us to better accomplish our mission. We continue to work diligently to ensure that the field of philanthropy is welcoming to diverse communities. We strive to have a diverse staff and particularly encourage Black and Indigenous people, and people of color to apply and be part of our team.
The Controller manages the organization’s ERP system, accounting cycles, and related processes to provide fiscal accountability and reliable financial reporting consistent with generally accepted accounting principles and reporting standards. The position leads a financial accounting team and manages independent financial audits, preparation of organizational budgets, federal grant compliance, the IRS 990, and other financial and operational compliance reporting.
The annual recruiting salary range for this position is $100,676 to $102,914 DOE. This position is open until filled; first consideration will be given to applications received within two weeks of posting.
*Full COVID-19 vaccination is required for this role (proof of vaccination will be requested prior to employment).
• Carries responsibility for general ledger accounting and financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, vendor and allocation disbursements, fixed asset accounting, cash accounting and the accounting for endowments, trusts, grants and miscellaneous receipts.
• Handles responsibility for monthly and annual accounting cycle, monthly financial reports and reconciliation of general ledger accounts and related processes.
• Ensures that accounting and financial reporting is performed in accordance with current established professional standards.
• Manages and coordinates the independent financial audits for the organization.
• Manages the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets.
• Leads federal grant and Uniform Guidance compliance for federal grant awards.
• Manages and coordinates the preparation and submission of the annual IRS Form 990 and other financial or operational compliance reporting.
• Reviews and updates internal controls, processes, and procedures in support of reliable and useful financial reporting and business process improvement.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
DISCLAIMER: This job position performs other assignments and duties as assigned. The contents of this job description may change as deemed necessary by United Way of King County
Knowledge and Skills:
• Demonstrated Proven strong analytical and demonstrated problem solving skills.
• Demonstrated advanced knowledge of and experience with accounting practices and techniques.
• Proven experience implementing requirements of Federal Uniform Guidance as relates to federal grant awards.
• Demonstrated advanced skill in analyzing and synthesizing data to generate potential solutions.
• Proven accomplished and effective communicator, both verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrated ability to actively seek perspectives from others to ensure inclusiveness and understanding.
• Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and make sound decisions in managing resources while demonstrating integrity.
• Proven effectiveness in collaborating with program staff and other teams to address business needs.
• Proven ability to generate trust and credibility with teams and collaborators.
• Demonstrated skill and enthusiasm about leading, coaching, and developing staff.
• Proven interpersonal skills with an emphasis on promoting collaboration and partnership in a teamwork environment.
• Demonstrated ability to value and pay close attention to details, accuracy, and completeness.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, specializing in accounting, business administration, or related discipline; CPA certification a plus.
• Must have a minimum of five years’ progressively responsible accounting experience and supervisory background.
• Intermediate Microsoft Office skills, advanced Excel skills, and experience with ERP accounting systems required.
• Background in a not-for-profit organization and experience managing federal grant compliance highly desired.
United Way of King County is an equal employment opportunity employer, and all applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law. UWKC values a racially diverse workplace and strongly encourages Black and Indigenous people, and people of color to apply.
We are an Employer of National Service: AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
United Way of King County is an exceptional workplace that can provide you with:
• Opportunities to work with smart, passionate, and enthusiastic team members and volunteers
• Ongoing collaboration with diverse staff and other constituents
• A desirable culture of high-performance expectations and accountability
• Exciting and challenging work
• Opportunities to help solve the community's toughest problems
• Competitive pay that is commensurate with demonstrated successful performance and experience
• Many other benefits that we are happy to discuss with you
Please click here to apply online via the following link. You will be asked to upload your resume and provide a cover letter as well as complete the UWKCmapplication.
***Applicants MUST apply at the UWKC Career Center to be considered for this position. Click here to access the Career Center to apply.***
United Way King County operates a hybrid workplace with all employees able to work a combination of remote, on-site, and off-site. Full COVID-19 vaccination is required for this role.