Hiring Organization Information
ROOTS Young Adult Shelter builds community and fosters dignity through access to essential services and a safe place to sleep for young adults experiencing homelessness.
After 20 years of operations, ROOTS recently moved into a new, four-story building on Greek Row. This will allow us to vastly expand our services in the coming years, including 24/7 services, a collaborative care model, and a supportive living program.
ROOTS is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQIA+, and bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Individual Giving and Donor Fundraising Activities & Stewardship (40%)
- Coordinate seasonal or special events (GiveBIG, Year-End Campaign, Special Fundraisers)
- Build up and manage a monthly giving program and cultivate, solicit, and steward the participants
- Track performance and report effectiveness of appeals, and identify contributors with the capacity to transition to a major donor level.
- Monitor and ensure timely, meaningful acknowledgment for gifts from donors and supporters
- Process donations, generate and track tax-receipts and acknowledgment letters
- Research, identify, assess and develop new fundraising opportunities and relationships among individuals and businesses
Communications & Marketing (30%)
- Develop content to keep the donor community up-to-date about ROOTS’ happenings and needs of the young people we serve
- Within ROOTS values, develop fundraising content and creatives for the website, e-newsletter, and social media and collaborate with contracted grants and public relations consultants.
- Collaborate with the Development Director on updating and monitoring the annual development calendar to ensure year-round engagement and stewardship of individual donors
- Collaborate with program leadership and volunteer management staff about systems advocacy and shelter/food program needs.
Donor Data & CRM (20%)
- Create monthly fundraising reports from our CRM (Kindful) for board meetings
- Track and create monthly performance reports for fundraising activities and events in Kindful
- Track and update constituent information in Kindful
- Reconcile monthly revenue with the finance department
- Maintain and update the database as needed
Annual Rise Up Event (10%)
- Assume a lead role in planning and executing the annual Rise Up event
- Design and develop sponsor collateral as needed
- Fulfill sponsorship recognition and benefits, including communications such as social media and press releases, collateral such as signage, website updates, etc.
- Manage event logistics and serve as the point of contact for vendors, supporters, sponsors, volunteers, tables captains, and attendees
- Create event communications (invitations, e-newsletter announcements, and other marketing materials)
- Record and track event data and constituent information, registration lists, and results
- Manage donor and sponsor appreciation efforts
AGENCY EXPECTATIONS OF EMPLOYEE
- Actively contribute to making ROOTS an anti-racist organization.
- Adhere to ROOTS Policies & Procedures and promote ROOTS organizational values.
- Maintain a positive and respectful attitude and strive to create a compassionate but disciplined environment in the shelter.
- Communicate proactively with colleagues, community partners, and guests.
TRAINING REQUIREMENTS WITHIN FIRST 60-DAYS
- Meet with every staff member
- ROOTS volunteer orientation
- Database Training
- Shadow multiple shelter shifts
- Other training as assigned
ROOTS is seeking an innovative and skilled fundraiser with 3-5 years of development or external relations experience in a nonprofit, education, or public service environment. We seek a highly organized and detail-oriented self-starter who can work independently with a team in a complex and fast-paced environment. An ideal candidate will have:
- A strong passion for young adults experiencing homelessness
- Commitment to racial equity and social justice
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- A strong track record of achieving, or assisting in achieving, tangible fundraising outcomes and the ability to respond effectively to changing organizational fundraising priorities
- A strong track record as an implementer who can prioritize and manage multiple projects
- Experience with donor databases
- Expertise with MS Office Suite, in particular, Excel strongly preferred
- Familiarity with web-based design software like Canva
- Familiarity with platforms like MailChimp, Squarespace
- Experience managing social media
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- The confidence, warmth, and interpersonal skills required to work effectively with a variety of organizational stakeholders
- Highly reliable, with initiative, flexibility, and enthusiasm
- A driver’s license – some driving may be required for events