Hiring Organization Information
The Opportunity — Join a dynamic mission-oriented team passionately committed to help create a Whatcom County where everyone who lives here thrives. We work to create conditions for inclusive prosperity through research, advocacy, and adaptation. We invest in structures, systems, community learning and skill-building to increase resilience. We attract and deploy resources which allow us to launch impactful projects and programs, to make impact investments and grants, and give scholarships. Join us in our work to cultivate neighborliness, lift community voices, and invest in equity and hope.
Philanthropy Philosophy — The region is prospering, yet many community members continue to experience barriers to opportunity. Philanthropy can help break down those barriers, helping to ensure that everyone in our community has the chance to thrive. The Community Foundation shares information, experience, insights and opportunities with philanthropists of all means to inform their giving, grantmaking and impact investing. Those investments have the power to directly address inequities and result in meaningful change. We work across the spectrum of philanthropy, from charity to systems change.
Equity — The Foundation is committed to equity and inclusivity. We strongly encourage people of color, transgender, non-binary, LGBTQ, differently abled, and all (adult) ages, apply. The position requires a personal interest and commitment to working in a diverse and inclusive work environment that places a high value on innovation, and respect. All staff participate in equity trainings and serve on related work groups as needed.
Position Summary — The Foundation’s Development Officer is an essential role to the success of the organization. This position will help create and implement the Foundation’s annual development plan, as well as actively participate in all aspects of the engagement and gift cycle. This position will thoughtfully engage with various community stakeholders, as well as foster current - and develop new – relationships. The core of this position is to work with the intention of connecting people, resources, and ideas.
- Help design, implement, and evaluate the Community Foundation’s community-centered development plan.
- Participate in all aspects of the engagement and gift cycle—initiate contact with potential donors/partners, develop appropriate cultivation strategies, help donors in selecting charitable giving products that complement and enhance charitable goals and maintain stewardship contact.
- Collaborate with other Community Foundation team members to lead, plan, implement, and continually refine meetings, events, services, programs, projects, and products that work to meaningfully engage donors in their philanthropy, with the Foundation, and with each other, in ways that will maximize resources and expertise to meet community needs.
- Strengthen the Community Foundation’s base of professional advisor partners, including existing relationships; encourages client referrals through a mix of individual meetings, education seminars and other events.
- Serve as an engaged member of the Community Foundation team; support the implementation of the team’s short, and long-term objectives; understand and contribute to the various strategies and overall mission.
- Participate in Community Foundation and broader community events to learn about community opportunities and current issues, enhance awareness about the Foundation’s mission and partnerships as well as help foster and deepen our community’s collective culture of philanthropy.
- Maintain accurate and updated records of constituents and contacts including donors, potential donors, community professionals, and professional advisors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of experience in the nonprofit sector, development, or other relevant experience.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office 365, additional experience with databases preferred.
- Proven track record of establishing effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment and interacting positively with a diverse range of people.
- Must have the ability to be flexible and successful within a changing environment and with evolving demands.
- We are looking for someone to join our team who is highly collaborative and has the humility to be willing to take on any task at any time. Philanthropy is a team sport, and we value flexible, adaptable, kind people who can play many roles.
This May be the Position for You If You…
- love to meet new people and make new connections—or are already immersed in civic or volunteer work in our community and love building and being in relationships with a diverse range of people.
- have strong written and oral communication skills that allow you to effectively communicate to various constituent groups.
- think creatively and like to act on new opportunities.
- have a positive, can-do attitude; and if you don’t know something you will either ask or figure it out.
- thrive on managing multiple tasks effectively—and database maintenance or mail merging doesn’t scare you.
- have an outlook of continuous improvement (I.e., the ability to reflect and act on ways in which you can learn, grow and improve your performance), positivity, a desire to seek best practices, and are a self-starter.
- want to help make decisions that will improve our community, and you have the courage to join us in constructively striving to be a better neighbor and partner.
- are authentic, have high integrity, and your leadership style motivates people to work hard while having fun.