Hiring Organization Information
KNKX is seeking an energetic and proactive Director of Major and Planned Giving to join our team. Following an unprecedented grassroots effort to save the station, we became an independent community licensed public media organization in August of 2016. Since that time our organization and service to the community has grown steadily and our fundraising has never been stronger. In 2019, we completed the first phase of a capital campaign to renovate and relocate our South Sound location to the heart of downtown Tacoma. After a pause due to the impacts of the pandemic, we are exploring phase two of the campaign to build a new home for our Seattle-based office. KNKX offers a very competitive benefits package which includes Medical, Dental, a generous 401k, as well as very generous holiday and vacation time.
KNKX Public Radio is committed to building a staff, board, community advisory council, and an audience that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive. We value this work, and believe it is a non-negotiable part of our future. We want KNKX to reflect the vibrancy and diversity of the place we live. That means people of different identities, backgrounds, experiences, and abilities feel welcome and at home. We believe that diversity is essential to authentic, accurate storytelling and reporting; creating an inclusive workplace in which all voices are encouraged and affirmed, and is a core part of our values as an organization.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Director of Major and Planned Giving is responsible for raising annual support from KNKX’s major gift supporters, totaling more than $1.35 million. This position also has a portfolio of donors to qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward and is responsible for helping other portfolio managers develop and execute strategies for stewarding, cultivating, and soliciting their donors. This position manages the Planned Giving program which includes marketing, cultivation and stewardship, as well. This role requires attention to detail and the ability to focus on multiple priorities, setting goals and creating strategies to meet those goals, working with many different types of people on a regular basis and fostering personal relationships with constituents.
In addition to raising General Operating support for KNKX, this position will also play a leadership role during the second phase of the KNKX Next Capital Campaign. This includes but is not limited to identifying prospects and developing the campaign gift ladder, cultivating and stewarding a portfolio of donors, planning campaign events, and contributing to the overall strategy.
The position supervises an Associate Major Gifts Officer, a Major Gifts Officer and reports to the Associate Director of Development.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Major Giving Program Management (40%)
- Plan, implement and oversee the annual fundraising and communication plan for the Major Gift program in partnership with the Associate Director of Development. Includes plan creation, copywriting, coordinating calendars, identifying giving and messaging vehicles, and tracking solicitation and campaign performance for reporting and future planning.
Major Gift program oversight includes developing the activities related to the entire donor cycle; marketing the Leadership Circle and Major Gift program, cultivating existing donors for upgrades, implementing solicitation plans and stewarding donors for greater involvement and commitment .
- Plan, manage, and oversee the Major Gift acknowledgement process through multiple communication channels .
- Plan, manage and oversee special events as part of the major gift program which includes everything from live studio sessions, to events in donor homes, to major gift receptions at larger station events.
- Oversee stock gift procedures for tracking and acknowledgment.
- Partner with the larger development team on joint projects and events.
- Manage vendor relationships and annual vendor contracts for major and planned giving programs.
- Supervise a Major Gifts Officer and an Associate Major Gifts Officer.
- Work in partnership with the Associate Director of Development on annual expense and revenue goals.
- Oversee KNKX’s Travel Club program, including creating and managing promotional plans, executing pre and post travel events, and representing the station on both national and international Travel Club trips.
- Other projects as assigned.
Donor Portfolio Management (50%)
- Manage a portfolio of primary prospects with individual moves management plans
Initiate contacts with potential leadership and major gift donors. Develop appropriate cultivation strategies, move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation, make solicitations when appropriate and conduct ongoing stewardship.
This portfolio will include prospects for capital campaign gifts. During a capital campaign the Director of Major and Planned Giving will be responsible for creating individual moves management plans for campaign prospects which will include solicitations in the $5,000-$50,000 range.
- Manage a portfolio of secondary prospects by way of communications and event invitations and touch points that will give the secondary portfolio more specialized cultivation than the general file.
- Maintain stewardship contacts with donors; adhere to the highest ethical and professional standards; demonstrate empathetic disposition, and perseverance; reflect optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to needs of the donors
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director of Development on portfolio management and oversight. Conduct an annual review of donor portfolio assignments, and provide prospect strategy counsel to the GM and development staff. Be a resource for development staff, from identifying potential connections (to knowing about meetings and events.)
- Plan, execute and attend major donor events
Planned Giving Program Management (10%)
- Create and implement the annual marketing plan for the Planned Giving program. Includes writing copy, choosing communication vehicles and partnering with the Associate Director of Development on calendar coordination.
- Create and implement the annual stewardship plan for existing planned giving donors. Includes a communication plan to keep planned giving donors informed of organization events, news and impact as well as annual outreach and invitation to events.
- Field listener and donor inquiries regarding planned gifts to the station. Conduct outreach to planned giving prospects. Track communications, prospects and known bequests and maintain a monthly count of the pipeline of future gift commitments.
- Maintain and build relationships with professionals such as, CPAs, CFPs, and Attorneys. Identify and recruit members for a Planned Giving Volunteer Council. Plan and manage the annual activities of the Council.
- Be familiar with and remain current on various gift planning tools and agreements.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Fundraising skills and knowledge of donor cycle, fundraising best practices and the donor code of ethics in fundraising and goal-setting.
- Strong writing skills and experience writing for direct mail, email, live presentations and other case documents.
- Knowledge of and experience in moving donors along the giving cycle from identification to stewardship.
- Ability to work with a variety of people .
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to develop relationships between them and the organization.
- Interest in media, journalism and music and a dedication to promoting the organization’s fundraising priorities through developing excellent relationships across departments.
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage multi-functional or diverse areas.
- Successful experience in making cold calls as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills.
- Demonstrated record of completing assignments.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong public speaking skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain poise under pressure.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and sensitivity in relation to information and documentation.
- Ability to work independently.
- Attention to details and ability to maintain accurate records.
- Experience working with a donor database and other digital resources to track donor behavior and moves management.
- Must have at least 7 years’ experience fundraising in nonprofits, at least 2 of which include Major Donor Cultivation and Solicitation
- BA degree preferred; experience may substitute education
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Must work evenings and weekends as needed
- Must have reliable transportation
- Competency in Microsoft Office programs with strong word processing and spreadsheet skills.
- Competency in Google Suite programs with strong word processing and spreadsheet skills.
- Competency in donor database applications, Raiser’s Edge preferred.