Hiring Organization Information
Who we are
Ecotrust creates and accelerates triple-bottom-line innovations to benefit our region and inspire the world. On the farm, at the coast, in the forest, and across our cities, we work in partnership towards an equitable, prosperous, climate-smart future. Since 1991, we have created durable change and sparked ideas across the globe. Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity and diversity as core principles integral to the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the organization, we seek diverse perspectives and lived experiences that we believe foster learning, creativity, innovation, and equity. Learn more at Ecotrust.org.
The Donor Engagement Manager is part of a collaborative fundraising team and holds primary responsibility for individual donor relationship development, engagement, and solicitation. Working closely with Ecotrust’s communications and events teams, and partnering with the executive team, board of directors, and project managers, the Donor Engagement Manager excels at identifying, cultivating, and stewarding individual donors and family foundations, and soliciting gifts and planned giving commitments.
Who you are
You are an optimist, a creative, and a learner. You have high emotional intelligence and are able to easily develop positive, trusting relationships with a diverse group of individuals inside and outside the organization. You are also strategic, goal-oriented, and motivated to raise catalytic support for Ecotrust’s mission in alignment with our core values.
Salary Range: $75,000-80,000
This is a full-time position. Ecotrust offers a full benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance, and disability coverage. Ecotrust is committed to growth and learning for all staff members and provides relevant developmental training opportunities, and we strongly support our employees as whole people. At the discretion of Ecotrust, relocation expenses may be reimbursed to the selected candidate.
Learn more about this position: Info session Thursday 6/24 1:15 - 2pm PST
Ecotrust is hosting an informational session about this position on Thursday 6/24 from 1:15 - 2pm PST. You can join the Zoom webinar to listen in and ask questions:
- Click this link to join by computer audio/video: https://zoom.us/j/99671313248
- Dial this number by your location to join by phone: 1 (669) 900-6833
- Webinar ID: 996 7131 3248
We will record the session and post the recording to the Ecotrust website shortly afterwards.
1. Build relationships with a diverse group of donors and prospects
Through direct, thoughtful, personalized engagement, cultivate and deepen relationships with current donors and prospective supporters. Identify relationship pathways, navigate social networks, and engage Ecotrust staff and board to support fundraising efforts.
2. Raise catalytic support
Recognize and develop the full value of Ecotrust’s donor community, and invite meaningful contributions to the mission, including the solicitation of single gifts and multi-year pledges, and the development of catalytic partnerships. Articulate compelling cases for support to solicit gifts of $5,000+, and meaningfully and responsibly steward all contributions.
3. Facilitate unique donor experiences
Create and lead compelling donor experiences that are inclusive and welcoming to people from all backgrounds, including field visits, board-led engagements, and fundraising events. Provide support to VP of Development and Engagement in recruiting, motivating and training board and staff as partners in donor engagement tactics.
4. Maintain knowledge of and co-create effective fundraising strategies
Develop and implement a portfolio fundraising strategy, monitor major gift fundraising efforts and budget, independently manage donor communications and moves, and track activities and outcomes in the database. Develop, monitor, and articulate the value of fundraising strategies, and integrate the wisdom of colleagues and practitioners to test, improve, and expand fundraising success.
5. Collaborate across teams, and maintain awareness of programmatic work and impact
Maintain knowledge and expertise in issues relevant to Ecotrust’s organizational priorities and concerns, with a particular attunement to our climate and equity imperatives. Engage in our organization-wide Racial Equity Action Plan and strive for racially equitable processes and outcomes. Creatively engage with colleagues to understand the value of our work, and to identify and develop funding opportunities.
*Transferable skills: any skills gained through education, work experience (including the military) or life experience that are relevant for this position.
- Authentic commitment to Ecotrust’s mission to inspire fresh thinking that creates economic opportunity, social equity, and environmental well-being. Commitment to advancing racial equity and addressing climate change.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in fundraising, business development, marketing, communications and/or sales.
- Frontline relationship manager with experience and skillset to engage high value clients, manage dynamic relationships, and secure financial commitments. Committed to using tact and subtlety in dealing with confidential and sensitive matters.
- Clear communicator, with demonstrated skills creating accessible, compelling communications for various audiences (written and spoken).
- Commitment to racial justice. Demonstrated ability to interact effectively across racially diverse teams, partners, and experiences, and to understand and communicate clearly about why and how to apply a racial equity lens.
- Proactive and solutions-oriented, with the ability to anticipate and identify gaps in information and processes, and take action to find solutions.
- Action-oriented and motivated. Able to work independently in a fast-paced environment, prioritizing and meeting deadlines.
- Collaborative team player, able to partner productively and thoughtfully with a variety of staff and stakeholders.
- Proficient with tech and tools, including database applications (Raiser’s Edge a plus), Google suite, Zoom, MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Preferred, but not required:
- Experience with nonprofit business models, and knowledge of fundraising portfolio strategies and best practices.
- Familiarity with Ecotrust programming and our communities of partners (programmatic, philanthropic, etc).
- Experience creating events and engagements for donor and community audiences that highlight impact and feature creative storytelling
- Proficient in inclusive and equitable fundraising practices and fundraising as movement building.
- A valid driver’s license and safe driving record.
Additional requirements include:
- Ability to travel up to 20% of time (mostly in Washington, Oregon and California), occasionally to remote locations. Availability to work some evenings and weekends for fundraising events and donor engagements.
- If not based in Portland, commitment to travel to Ecotrust offices for three days at least once per quarter.