Hiring Organization Information
Historic Flight Foundation seeks a dynamic, innovative leader to serve as Executive Director of the new museum facility in Spokane. The Executive Director serves as Chief Executive Officer and reports to the Chairman and Board of Advisors for all aspects of the operation of the museum including financial management, supervision and professional development of staff and volunteers, fundraising and donor relationships, education programming, collection curation and development, community relations and outreach, and implementation of Board policy. This position offers significant growth potential. The ideal candidate will be an innovative thinker capable of high-level strategic planning, marketing, development of personnel, use of facilities, public and private school outreach, publications, websites, and social media.
Historic Flight Foundation was formed in 2003 as a privately owned 501(c)3 non-profit organization. It has evolved into a public charity. The newly constructed Spokane facility at Felts Field incorporates many of the art deco features prominent in the Felts Field Historic District.
The mission of Historic Flight Foundation Spokane is to inspire and educate students of all ages. With aviation-based STEM as its cornerstone, member flight experiences bring life to a world-class collection of vintage aircraft. Presentations feature our rich heritage of aviators and engineers, and their dedication to advancement of technology.
The museum will host a variety of events, air festivals, and exhibits with a target audience of 50,000 per year from Spokane and the surrounding Intermountain Region. To learn more about Historic Flight Foundation, visit historicflight.org/feltsfield.
In collaboration with the Chairman and the Board, the Executive Director:
- Provides leadership, vision and strategic direction for the organization. The Executive Director works with the staff and volunteers to accomplish the goals and objectives of HFF.
- Provides day-to-day direction to the organization, executing its short- and long-range strategies and plans and taking full responsibility for all operations.
- Oversees the financial well being of the organization including budget, cost control, capital expenditures, financial controls, profit, pricing, and the reporting of all financial results to the Chairman.
- Pursues an aggressive revenue growth strategy to ensure long-term financial success toward a strong aviation-based STEM program and future ownership of the facility.
- Manages and develops new strategies for museum fundraising events, including air shows. Ensures quality events resulting in positive net income for HFF/Spokane.
- Provides effective management, supervision and professional development for museum staff and volunteers through recruitment and development of talent for the organization.
- Increases the visibility and public awareness of the museum and develops constituencies supportive of the museum, utilizing a variety of communication channels including newsletters, email blasts, websites and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, the humanities or a field related to the duties of this position from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a senior-level management capacity, including supervision of a staff.
- Significant experience in non-profit management including fundraising, finances, personnel, and community and board relations.
- Knowledge of major gift, capital campaign and planned giving approaches and techniques; experience identifying, cultivating and soliciting high-level giving prospects; experience developing strategic external alliances with partners and prospective donors.
- Strong writing skills with some experience in grant funding.
- Demonstrated experience increasing revenue and net income through a variety of channels, including operations, events and fundraising.
- Experience with strategic planning, marketing, innovative use of facilities, special outreach events including fundraisers, publications and website supervision.
- Must be self-motivated, organized, flexible and detail-oriented.
- Must have leadership ability and a penchant for history.