Hiring Organization Information
About Treehouse: Treehouse is a rapidly growing nonprofit with a 30-year history of addressing the academic and other essential support needs of children, youth, and young adults experiencing foster care. Our services operate throughout Washington State, and we are an emerging leader in the national foster care conversation.
Since 2012, we’ve dramatically increased the extended graduation rate for youth in care across nine counties—expanding annually—from less than 50% to about 80%. And that's just the start. We now are partnering with young adults well into their 20s as they work to achieve a career credential, living wage, and stable housing.
Join a team that is passionately committed to youth succeeding. With a mission of giving kids and youth in foster care a childhood and a future, we provide education-focused coaching. We partner to offer experiences and essentials that foster community connections, exploration, and growth. We fight for systems changes and join forces to pass landmark reforms that reduce inequities responsible for unjust barriers.
Well-loved, community-based and fiercely optimistic, Treehouse is uniquely positioned to partner with youth, schools, organizations, caregivers, social workers, and funders. Together, we improve outcomes from childhood through high school graduation and beyond, including a successful launch into adulthood.
We welcome alumni of care and encourage qualified individuals of every race, national origin, religion, age, disability or ability status, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation and gender identity and expression to apply.
Treehouse currently has an opening for a Education Specialist on our Programs Team. This is a regular, full-time, non-exempt position based in Bethel School District.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish, preferred but not required
- Review educational history and systematically evaluate ongoing educational needs of each youth on your caseload through regular interaction with youth, caregiver, social worker, school staff and other service providers.
- Monitor Attendance, Behavior and Course Performance (ABC) for risk factors and facilitate interventions to address risks as necessary. Coach/mentor youth on problem solving, self-advocacy, academic mindset, self-regulation, persistence, and positive behavior. Establish and monitor progress on Student Centered Plans for high school completion and the future.
- Encourage each youth to be involved in appropriate school or community based activity. Refer youth for resources to support education, social/emotional development or other needs.
- Provide advocacy around school enrollment and continuity, appropriate education services, and appropriate discipline.
- Work closely with appropriate individuals/groups to help ensure each youth’s educational rights are upheld under federal and Washington State law.
- Schedule and facilitate interagency meetings, negotiate services, facilitate transportation plans, assist with credit transfer or retrieval, negotiate disciplinary appeals, etc.
- Manage effective relationships at assigned school buildings with school personnel.
- Develop and support an appropriate team for every youth by building effective ongoing relationships with social workers, caregivers, school staff and other collaborators.
- Maintain complete, accurate and updated case records for each youth in programs database via timely data entry.
- Acquire consent forms, collect school records on schedule.
- Report on youth progress to supervisor and team on established schedule.
- Provide monthly reports to social workers and caregivers.
- Provide recommendations on success stories to represent organizational mission upon request.
*See full job description for a complete list of responsibilities
Salary and Benefits: The starting salary/rate for this position is $20.50 per hour depending on experience. Treehouse provides a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, long-term disability and life insurance paid by the employer. Paid holidays, staff appreciation days and a generous Paid Time Off (PTO) plan are included. We offer a 403(b) plan with an employer match and dependent benefits are available. We also allow dogs at work and enjoy regular employee social events!
Applying for this position:
Submit cover letter and resume on our website at: http://www.treehouseforkids.org/about/careers/job-openings/. Once on this page, click on “Job Openings” to see a list of open positions.
If you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our online application system as a result of a disability, you may request an accommodation by contacting the Human Resource Department at email@example.com.