Resources for funders and grantmakers
This page covers information specifically for the philanthropy sector. Looking for more general COVID-19 resources? Go to our COVID-19 General Info page. Looking for a list of funds for COVID-19 efforts? Go to our Response Funds Tracker.
Philanthropy Northwest Funder Resources
- Philanthropy Northwest is continuing our responsive member engagement through regular Philanthropy Northwest Network Calls on emerging issues. Please visit our events page to register.
- Philanthropy Northwest is hosts a listserv for network members on timely issues including COVID-19. Please contact Danielle Crystal if you wish to be included.
Funder Resources Across the Sector
CALLS TO ACTION | STATEMENTS
- A Call to Action: Philanthropy's Commitment during COVID-19 | Join over 700 organizations who have signed the pledge to loosen restrictions on grantees and increase flexibility during the pandemic. | Hosted by Council on Foundations
- A Joint Statement Encouraging Increased Giving in This Time of Crisis | Nine leaders of philanthropy membership organizations call for foundations to increase their giving, even if it means dipping into endowments.
- Early Childhood Funders COVID-19 Resources by Early Childhood Funders Collaborative
- Funders Together to End Homelessness COVID-19 Resource Page for philanthropy
- National Center for Family Philanthropy has been tracking local relief funds across the country on an interactive map
- National Center for Responsive Philanthropy created a micro-site of resources for responsive grantmakers
- Native Americans in Philanthropy's COVID-19 resource page includes resources for tribal communities and Native-led nonprofits as well as interviews with tribal leader
- OneAmerica's Resource page for Immigrant Communities during COVID-19 is an excellent resource, and available in Spanish
- Seattle Office of Immigrant and Refugee Affairs resource page related to COVID-19 and public charge, including some resources in multiple languages
ARTICLES | REPORTS
- "The Intersection of Philanthropy, Tech and Equity" | January 21, 2021 | By Elizabeth Guthrie | PEAK Grantmaking summarizes key takeaways from a 4-part learning series in late 2020 and covers how technology has played a central role in pandemic response and how technology can be used more equitably in grantmaking.
- "Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders in Philanthropy's Statement on COVID-19" | March 5, 2020 | AAPIP responded to the rise in racist and xenophobic actions directed at individuals with Asian heritage
- "Coronavirus Equity Considerations" | NAACP | Policy experts outlined 10 key impacts on communities of color and recommendations in containing the spread of the coronavirus
- "COVID-19: A Deep Economic Crisis in Indian Country" | May 13, 2020 | By Casey Lozar, Donna Feir and James Robert Colombe
- "COVID-19 Response and Recovery: Recommendations for Philanthropy to Support Immediate Needs and Long-Term Solutions to End Homelessness" | May 5, 2020 | Funders Together to End Homelessness
- "COVID-19 Response and System Redesign: Recommendations for Philanthropy to Support Solutions to End Homelessness" | October 19, 2020 | Funders Together to End Homelessness
- "COVID-19: Using a Racial Justice Lens Now to Transform Our Future" | March 30, 2020 | By Lori Villarosa in Nonprofit Quarterly
- "Equity, Justice and Making Meaning of COVID-19" | April 21, 2020 | Just Lead Washington | Breaks down considering our work in times of crisis into a four-part phase-based thinking approach and covers essential adaptive leadership behaviors
- "Foundations Respond to Crisis: A Moment of Transformation?" | The Center for Effective Philanthropy | Amid 2020’s unprecedented challenges, calls for funders to make fundamental changes in how they approach their work have grown in number and intensity. This report from CEP examines how foundations are responding.
- "Funder Support During the COVID-19 Pandemic" | The Center for Effective Philanthropy
- "How the COVID-19 Economic Stimulus Bill would Affect Nonprofits" | National Council of Nonprofits
- "Impact of COVID-19 on Walla Walla Valley Nonprofits" | By Michelle Janning and sponsored by the Blue Mountain Community Foundation and Sherwood Trust
- "Resiliency in Crisis: The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the Urban American Indian Nonprofit Sector" | National Urban Indian Family Coalition | Recommendations for philanthropy are included on page 13 of the report.
- "The COVID-19 Gender Equity Landscape" | May 1, 2020 | This piece by the Women's Foundation of Oregon shares data about violence against women, systemic racism, the cost of caregiving, reproductive justice, the wage/wealth gap, economic fragility, mental health and the public/private glass ceiling among other indicators.
- "2020: Local Foundation Funding for Immigrant and Refugee Groups" | National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy | This NCRP analysis of the latest publicly available data shows how, as a whole, the largest local foundations are failing to provide financial support that is proportional to the number of immigrants and refugees in their states and the threats they face.
WEBINARS | VIRTUAL SESSIONS | PODCASTS
- "COVID-19 Coronavirus: How Philanthropy Can Respond" | March 5, 2020 | A webinar from the Center for Disaster Philanthropy | Speakers discussed the role philanthropy can play during pandemics including advocacy, sharing accurate messaging, and funding preparedness, response and mitigation.
- "Keep Calm and Check Your Bias" | March 26, 2020 | A New York Public Radio WNYC Studios podcast with Dr. Gail Christopher that examines how racial bias is and will show up in our COVID-19 responses
- "Supporting Immigrant Communities in Uncertain Times" |March 13, 2020 | The closing plenary from Grantmakers Concerned with Immigrants and Refugee's (GCIR) 2020 National Convening. Speakers discussed how COVID-19 is affecting their communities, their organizations, the 2020 census, the upcoming election and how they are responding in real-time.