Philanthropy Northwest advocates on behalf of the region’s philanthropic sector and helps our members become more effective in matters of public policy, advocacy and civic engagement. In order to promote a strong philanthropic sector which supports vibrant, equitable and inclusive communities in our region, Philanthropy Northwest will work to:
- Support the role of foundations as stewards of resources for the public good and the health and vitality of communities and citizens.
- Promote mutual understanding between philanthropy and government regarding our individual and shared roles in advancing the public good.
- Promote civic engagement to enable the nonprofit and philanthropic community to fulfill its role in strengthening communities and sustaining a thriving democracy.
- Promote collaborative action among philanthropic organizations and between governments and philanthropy.
- Sustain and promote a tax and regulatory system that encourages a responsible, effective, and independent philanthropic and vibrant nonprofit sector.
- Encourage charitable giving and volunteerism.
Philanthropy Northwest Policy Positions
Johnson Amendment: We support the Johnson Amendment, the law prohibiting 501(c)(3) charitable organizations from endorsing, opposing or contributing to political candidates and engaging in partisan campaign activities. Our statement urging lawmakers to protect the Johnson Amendment.
Charitable Giving: We support tax policy that encourages giving, through a charitable contribution deduction or through other means that sustain or enhance the amount that Americans give to charities. Our letter in support of the IRA charitable rollover.
Excise Tax: We support simplification of the private foundation excise tax on net investment income to a flat rate.
Philanthropy Northwest Policy Letters
We engage in advocacy to support select issues that impact philanthropy nationally and in our six-state region. Letters we have written to policymakers: