NOTE: THIS WORKSHOP HAS SOLD OUT. WE WILL BE OFFERING THIS COURSE IN NOVEMBER. PLEASE STAY TUNED FOR MORE DETAILS.
Essential Skills and Strategies is a comprehensive, two-day educational program to help familiarize new and up-and-coming grantmakers to the foundation world and the field of philanthropy. Developed by experts in the philanthropic sector, Essential Skills and Strategies is the field’s standardized orientation for grantmakers. The curriculum is designed to provide new grantmakers with the knowledge, insight, skills and tools to be effective in their work. The workshop is interactive and discussion-oriented to provide attendees with the expertise needed to thrive in philanthropy.
During this two-day workshop, you will explore key topics such as:
- The History and Scope of Philanthropy
- Key Legal and Ethical Issues
- How to Make Sound Funding Decisions
- Communicating Funding Recommendations Internally and Externally
- Managing the Grants Portfolion and Grantee Relationships
- Strategies Beyond Grantmaking
- Balancing Personal and Professional Satisfaction and Excellence
Recent participants had this to say about ESS:
- “This training was just excellent. As a new staff member to a foundation, I learned from every topic. I so enjoyed meeting others in the field. And I am truly grateful for the binder....I know I will refer to it often. Thank you so much for a professional, well-organized training. So valuable.”
- “Thank you - in honesty I learned much more than I expected to. I'd highly recommend this to anyone new to the field or needing a refresher.”
- “I would love to have all our trustee attend this training.”
- “I am so thankful that I was able to attend this conference. It was absolutely tops. As I was learning new things, what I already knew was being strengthen - no disconnects; gaps.”
- “Thank you all for putting this great training on -I learned a lot and feel that I have a new foundation of knowledge to share with my colleagues!”
Participants will receive a comprehensive set of materials and additional learning resources. Breakfast and lunch are included. This course is limited to 20 individuals. We suggest registering early - our last two ESS workshops were sold out.
Eligibility: This course is for staff or trustees of private and public foundations, community foundations, corporate giving programs and government or nonprofit grantmaking organizations.
Planning Your Travel
July is vacation season in Seattle - please book your hotel early to save. Philanthropy Northwest receives discounts at Hotel Andra. Other convenient hotels include: Hotel Five and the Warwick Hotel. Philanthropy Northwest is close to many major bus lines and is a few blocks from the Westlake Link Light Rail stop.
ESS has been endorsed by philanthropic groups and foundation staff around the country. The curriculum was initially developed by a volunteer leadership team that included representatives from the Council on Foundations, the Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers, the Council of Michigan Foundations and Grantmakers of Western Pennsylvania. Ongoing curriculum development has been generously supported by Philanthropy Northwest members and guided by regional foundation leaders, Philanthropy Northwest staff and The Giving Practice partners.
Please contact Kristen Holway at 206-267-9954 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions related to this workshop.