Grantmaking to Idaho rose 13% between 2012 and 2014. Education and human services were top priority areas, capturing a combined 50% of grant dollars to the state. One-third of grant dollars awarded to Idaho for human services can be attributed to a $4 million grant from the J. A. & Kathryn Albertson Foundation — the top grantmaker both in and to the state — to the Boise-based Treasure Valley Family YMCA.
Compared to overall giving to the Northwest, Idaho grantees benefited from a notably larger share of funding for sports and recreation in 2014 (9% to Idaho vs. 2% to the Northwest), including a $79,119 grant from the Idaho Community Foundation in support of the John Jackson Rock Climbing team.
Top 10 Grantmakers to Idaho, 2014*
- J.A. & Kathryn Albertson Foundation (ID)
- Laura Moore Cunningham Foundation (ID)
- Idaho Community Foundation (ID)
- M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust (WA)
- The LOR Foundation (WY)
- Schwab Charitable Fund (CA)
- Micron Technology Foundation (ID)
- Helen K. & Arthur E. Johnson Foundation (CO)
- Harold E. & Phyllis S. Thomas Foundation (ID)
- Shelby Cullom Davis Charitable Fund (DE)
*Based on grants data reported to Foundation Center by January 2017