Grantmaking to Oregon rose just over 5% between 2012 and 2014. Echoing overall giving to the Northwest, health and education were the top priorities for funders to Oregon, accounting for 30% and 21% of total grant dollars, respectively. Despite the large share of grant dollars targeting health, a substantially greater share of the number of grants awarded to Oregon-based organizations supported education (20%) and human services (19%) — including a $500,000 award from Meyer Memorial Trust to Oregon Food Bank — followed by 10% for health.
In addition to significant grants for local communities, including a $5 million grant from The Ford Family Foundation to Oregon Health & Science University Foundation for rural outreach and a patient and family housing center, the state received the highest proportion of international relations grants across the Northwest, including NIKE Foundation’s support for Portland-based Mercy Corps’ work with girls in developing countries.
Top 10 Grantmakers to Oregon, 2014*
- The Oregon Community Foundation (OR)
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (WA)
- Meyer Memorial Trust (OR)
- Schwab Charitable Fund (CA)
- The Ford Family Foundation (OR)
- M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust (WA)
- The Collins Foundation (OR)
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (NJ)
- Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation (CA)
- Vanguard Charitable Endowment Program (MA)
*Based on grants data reported to Foundation Center by January 2017