This report is based on data collected by or directly reported to Foundation Center by December 31, 2016. Findings are based on analysis of two closely-related datasets:
- Analysis of Fiscal Year 2014 philanthropic giving to the Northwest is based on 39,890 reported grants totaling $1.8 billion awarded by a sample of 4,092 funders awarding at least one grant of $1,000 or more to Philanthropy Northwest’s six-state region — Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington and Wyoming. Of these participating funders, 1,097 are based in the Northwest and 2,995 are based outside the region.
- Analysis of changes in philanthropic giving to the Northwest between Fiscal Year 2012 and Fiscal Year 2014 is based on a subset of 1,387 funders that reported grantmaking data for both years, totaling $1.4 billion in 2014. Of this matched set of funders, 390 are based in the Northwest and 997 are based outside of the region.
Dollar amounts may represent the full authorized grant award or the amount paid in that year, depending on how the foundation reports its activity. Similarly, Fiscal Year 2014 and Fiscal Year 2012 may include grants awarded in late 2013 and late 2011, respectively, depending on how the foundation defines its fiscal calendar. Percentages are rounded to the nearest whole number, leading to some pie charts reflecting slightly more than 100% totals. Dollar amounts are rounded to the tenth place.
What’s included in the dataset?
- Grants of $1,000 or more
- Grants approved for future distribution (e.g., multi-year grants in award year)
- Independent foundations and operating foundations
- Corporate direct giving programs and corporate foundations
- Community foundations, including discretionary grants and donor-advised grants when provided by the foundation
- Grantmaking public charities
- Total grantmaking by The Boeing Company, Microsoft Corporation and The Oregon Community Foundation
What’s not included?
- Government funding
- In-kind donations
- Grants or scholarships less than $1,000
- Direct employee cash contributions
- Mission investments
- Program-related expenses and other non-grant related expenses that count towards
- foundation payout rates
- Grants by award size, issue area, support type and population type from Boeing, Microsoft and The Oregon Community Foundation
Visit philanthropynw.org/trends17 to view more data and update your information for future reports.